Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Making the non-job of bike theivery as easy as possible

Went for a stroll to a nearby Coffee Bean yesterday and the first thing to greet me was an uber-rare Canyon Ultimate CF. I took one look at the sexy carbon fiber wonderbike and my jaw nearly hit the ground. Then about half a second later my mandible got all the way to the gum speckled pavement when I realized its owner was nowhere to be found.

Well actually, I found him inside The Bean (assuming someone wasn't just wearing Lycra for the heck of it) and not even anywhere near his bike. From where he was sitting you couldn't even see the top of the saddle.



It's not every day that you see a Campy Record equipped bike that's not even available in the states treated worse than a dumpster baby but once again I'm reminded that anything is possible on the Westside.

What really chapped my hide though was this sweet bike was so new and minty fresh that the size decal was still on the back of the seat tube.



If I rode a 56 and didn't still feel guilty about the cherry tomato I once stole from a Pizza Hut salad bar in the early 80's I might have been tempted to help myself to a free bike. Instead, I grudgingly sat on the patio reading the paper and looking up every now and again to make sure nobody rode off on a bike that wasn't theirs.

Then, when our big city rube was ready to continue his ride, I tailed him all the way back to his house to see where he lived because if he's the kind of guy to leave a bike like this unlocked, then he's obviously the kind of guy who'd who'd set up his home theater system in the front yard and leave the keys his Canyonero at night.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

We should do a Punk'd at the coffee shops on the westside. We would just move their bikes around the corner and tape their reactions.